Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

To Be Loved By God

"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God."
Romans 5:1-2 (NKJV)

The note in my Spirit-Filled Life Bible says, "Grace underscores the generosity of God's love, highlighting the truth that God does not coerce change by threatening us, but instead He conquers by lavishing His love upon us."  I realize how so much of my life has been a struggle to really know God's love.  Knowing His love in my mind, that's easy.  But to really know His love, to believe it, to embrace it and live in glorious freedom of His love?  Wow, what a struggle.  To believe that God loves me joyfully, lavishing, unconditionally - why is that so difficult?

Why is it that those who love God so much sometimes struggle to believe that He really loves them?  Perhaps all you've wanted in your life is to love Him and be loved by Him.  Yet, you find that His love often seems elusive.  You deeply want to know Him and be known by Him.  You sincerely desire to walk closely with the Lord.  Yet, His love seems to escape your grasp.  You are plagued by a sense of failure.    

There is a love greater than knowledge.  There is a love greater than all our failures, all our sins, and all our past mistakes.  It is a love "that surpasses knowledge." (Ephesians 3:19)  It even surpasses the constant reminders of our own sin and reminds us that we've been forgiven.  It is a love experienced through the power of the Holy Spirit.  "...the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."  (Romans 5:5)  

Yet, sometimes when we draw close to Him we feel undone.  We feel like Isaiah, "Woe is me!"  Perhaps, like me, you've often felt like a failure.  You are always trying hard to measure up but it never seems good enough.  Consequently, your walk with God is often a struggle and seldom a joy.  God seems like a cruel taskmaster who stands over your life coercing you to change by threatening.  "If only you would just get it right!"

Rather than seeing Him as a God who punishes, God wants to bring us into a place of freedom in His love.  He wants to bring us into a place where the reality of His love is rooted deep within our hearts. 


Lord, I pray that You would bring each of us into a place of great freedom in Your love.  Help us to see that You love us so much.  I pray Your love would be rooted deep in our hearts, that we would be rooted and ground in Your Love.  Help us to know Your love which surpasses knowledge.  Fill us up, Lord, with the fullness of Your love.  

3 comments:

  1. Jon, I believe that when I start to be thankful and give Him praise, is when I can see and feel His love for me. When I recognize that I am nothing, I’m not worthy, I have no worth, but he chooses to use me. That shows me that he loves me. Every good things I do, it’s because of Him. Every good thought is because of Him. My heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. Jer 17:9
    Thank You, Father for loving me enough to send Your one and only Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. Thank You, He demonstrated how I am to live and serve, that I can’t do anything good without the Holy Spirit that indwells in me. As I focus on Him, You transform me in to His image by Your Spirit within in.
    I choose to thank you for my weakness my infirmities, my inadequacies (physical, mental,, emotional, relational).. for the ways I fall short of what people view as ideal.. for my feelings of helplessness and inferiority and even my pain and distresses, What a comfort to know that you understand how I feel, You will always love me. I come to you as a humble child wanting to walk in your grace. You help and bless and strengthen me. Thank You, that I can trust in Your word and not my feelings. Your love and grace is sufficient for me. You strength is made perfect in my weakness.
    I praise You and give You the glory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I started writing again. Thank you for being faithful with your blog. You have encouraged me. I posted some new poems on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget - thank you for your comment. Yes, I agree, when I begin to worship Him I feel His love for me and His love for others. When I get so focused on everything that is wrong with me, that is when I get discouraged. We have to focus on Him! I'm glad I could encourage you in your writing journey : )

    ReplyDelete

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...