Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Will Protect You, I Will Deliver You

Several years ago I had another dream.  I dreamed that these great tornados, at least 3 of them side by side, were coming out of the northeast towards Dallas, TX, where I live.  They were much bigger than any other tornado I had ever seen in pictures, big enough to level a city.  But God spoke to me.  He said, “I will protect you.  I will deliver you.”  I think He said more than that, but that is all I can remember.

You may be familiar with the story found in the Bible, in Acts 27.  Paul the Apostle is sailing for Rome as a prisoner.  During the voyage the ship encounters a violent storm, one of hurricane force.  After “neither sun nor stars appeared for many days and the storm continued raging,” they gave up hope of being saved (vs. 20). 

The great Apostle stands up to encourage the men.  He says,

“…I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed.  Last night an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’  So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.”  (Acts 27:22-25)

For the last ten years, since 9/11, our nation has endured many storms.  We’ve encountered real, literal storms - hurricanes, tornadoes, and fires.  We’ve endured the ever-present threat of terrorism and the trials of war that have come with it.  And we’ve faced political and financial turmoil as well.  We do not know exactly what the future holds, but we can be sure of one thing:  There will be more trouble.   

If we’re not careful, our lives can be dominated by a sense of dread regarding the future, world events, personal difficulties, and even our everyday needs.  Thankfully, God has made a way for us to live without fear.  Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you… Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)

As Christians, this is not a time for us to shrink back in fear.  It is time to move on to victory.  This is our finest hour.  It is our time to stand up and boldly declare, “Do not be afraid.  Take courage!”  For God says, “I will protect you.  I will deliver you.”     




No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...