Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rise Up, O Lord!

“He reached down from on high and took hold of me;
he drew me out of deep waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy,
from my foes, who were too strong for me.”
Psalm 18:16-17

I can utter no prayer
I can voice no cry
for my soul is weary, downcast
and I feel I must deserve this darkness
these shadows must be my home
and I wonder if I will ever rise again to see
the breaking of the dawn
the sunlight on my face
for the shame of things I’ve done
and the dreariness of each passing moment
caves in around me with each passing day
the destiny I thought I’d see
the wonderful world I dreamed would open up before me
is just that… a dream
never a reality
a besieged city I am
in my distress, I cry out to the Lord
please answer by setting me free
answer me
because the hordes of hell have encamped against me
the forces of evil they rise up
with wicked intention, to destroy my life
they seek me out to devour me
to accuse me
to remind me of my sins and how I fail
and I wonder if I will ever rise again to see the light of day
the breaking of the dawn
the rising sun and all its splendor
or the village at the end of the river
where my true love awaits
when the moon stands up to crush me
I pray
that the Morning Star would alight in my heart
and awaken wings of angels
to come to my rescue
Hosanna!  Come save me!
for I am drowning in this river
this river I thought would take me deep in You
it seems to have arisen around me
to swallow me
and I am crushed in its clutches
in such despair, will I ever escape?
will I ever be free?
will You come to me, in this valley of my confusion
on the sea of my storm will you say, “peace, be still”
rebuke my enemies, strike them on the jaw!
break their teeth
because, in this moment, I cannot lift a hand against them
I cannot raise my hand or utter a word
for I am frozen in my affliction
so tired, I am so tired of fighting
an enemy who comes at me, in waves after waves
upon the shore of my soul
Lord, please come, restore
robbed and plundered, I cry out, restore!
lead me beside quieter waters
lead me, Lord, I pray
be still, my soul, be still
rise up, O Lord, rise up!
with healing in Your wings
hide me in the shadow of Your comfort
nudge my side tonight, O angel of deliverance
break my chains, break them asunder
and drive them to the place of no return
for I am weary, O Lord, from battle
I pray, dear Jesus, restore my soul
if I am Your servant
if I am Your son
if I am Your treasured possession, the apple of Your eye
dear Jesus, I cry, take me as Your inheritance
draw me deeply, I pray
into the shelter of the Most High
in deep distress, I cry,
O Lord, rise up!

“Praise be to the Lord,
for he showed his wonderful love to me
when I was in a besieged city.
In my alarm I said,
‘I am cut off from your sight!’
Yet you heard my cry for mercy
when I called to you for help.
Psalm 31:21-22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...