Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

About Dreams

I Thessalonians 5:19-22 says, "Do not quench the Spirit.  Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil."

This Scripture does not specifically speak about dreams, but, I believe there is a general principle here.  For one, we ought not limit how the Holy Spirit can work in our lives.  Secondly, any dream, vision, prophecy or supernatural experience needs to line up with the truth of God's Word.  That should be a given.  Thirdly, not every dream is from God and not every dream has some supernatural meaning.

In 2006 I attended a youth convention here in Dallas called Acquire the Fire.  I actually served as the church bus driver for the youth.  During the convention, as they promoted their mission trips, the Holy Spirit began to stir my heart with a desire to get involved with missions.  Around that same time (after the convention, I believe) I had a dream.  In my dream I was at a church service.  I believe I was laid out on the floor, on my face seeking God.  A lady prophesied to me in the dream.  She said, in essence, "Stop focusing on Lake Superior, God is sending you to the nations.  He's sending you to Norway, Africa, and the Middle East."  Not long after the dream God opened up the opportunity for me to go to Honduras with Light of Life International Ministries.  In less than 2 weeks I'll be going on my 5th trip with Light of Life.

I think that dream is a good example of a true dream from the Lord.  Clearly it lines up with Scripture.  Jesus told us to go into all the world and preach the gospel.  I didn't try to conjure it up.  It also confirmed something God was already speaking to me.  He stirred my heart concerning missions and then confirmed His purpose through the dream.  I had an inward witness of the Holy Spirit that it was indeed from the Lord.

Not every dream or vision will work out exactly this way.  But, if it is truly from the Lord, it should line up with these general principles I have outlined here.  The end result should be peace.  I Thessalonians 5 goes on to say, "May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it." (vs. 23-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...