Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

He Breaks the Chains

"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.
Let the redeemed of the LORD tell their story—
those he redeemed from the hand of the foe..."
Psalm 107:1-2

Next week I am going to Honduras on a missions trip.  The group from my church will be performing a human video called Set Me Free (a Casting Crowns song).  It is a powerful song that portrays the power of Christ to set us free from the chains of bondage to sin.  Jesus said, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin... if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." (John 8:34, 36)

I was thinking of a time in my life where God set me free....

There was a time when I would get so angry with myself that I would literally look in the mirror and curse myself.  I don't think it was a regular habit, but, there were times I'd get so down on myself that I would curse myself this way.  One evening, while walking near my church, I was quietly singing.  I wasn't intently focused on the Lord.  Nonetheless, as I sang the presence of God came over me.  On the gravel road I got down on my face, low to the ground.  It seemed I couldn’t get low enough.

God lovingly and gently convicted me.  He made it clear to me that I was not going to curse myself anymore.  I knew it was not pleasing to Him.  It was a wonderful moment!  I did not feel condemned.  I felt loved.  It was one of the most liberating experiences of my life.  I was set free.  There have been a couple times since that experience where that spirit of self hatred has tried to come back.  But even though I still get down on myself too much, I have not cursed myself like I used to since that day.  Thank God for His power to set the captives free!

"Some sat in darkness, in utter darkness,
prisoners suffering in iron chains,
because they rebelled against God’s commands
and despised the plans of the Most High.
So he subjected them to bitter labor;
they stumbled, and there was no one to help.
Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble,
and he saved them from their distress.
He brought them out of darkness, the utter darkness,
and broke away their chains.
Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love
and his wonderful deeds for mankind,
for he breaks down gates of bronze
and cuts through bars of iron."
Psalm 107:10-16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...