Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Let Your Light Shine

On September 1st I was at the convenience store a couple of blocks from my home.  I was trying to get money from the ATM to do laundry at my apartment complex.  The girl at the cash register told me the ATM was not working, but recommended a place or two down the street.  I started that way, but then turned around and started back to my apartment.  I decided I'd drive to a gas station or something.  As I walked back past the convenience store the girl was sitting outside smoking a cigarette.  Somewhere in this process I felt the desire in my heart to talk to her about the Lord.  

So I went back to my apartment, without talking to her about Jesus.  I drove to the bank and got the cash I needed.  And then I went back to the apartment office to load money on my laundry card.  The office is across the street from the convenience store, and now I was looking for an excuse to go back in the store.  But I was afraid.  Even though I've done my share of witnessing, approaching a stranger to talk to them about their salvation is still not an easy thing for me to do.

Inside the store I grabbed a bottle of Cherry Coke and purchased it from the girl at the register.  Some words passed between the two of us and a couple of other customers at the store.  But I walked out without witnessing to her.  

As I got outside I finally worked up the courage to talk to her.  I went back in the store and asked her about her relationship with the Lord.  As I spoke I felt the words flowed.  She was receptive to what I said and very friendly.  It wasn't as hard to do as my fears indicated!  It helped that she was so friendly.

Sometimes the things we fear to do, when we step out and do them, are not as frightening after all.  I know in my own self I often struggle with fear, but God gives empowers!  

It's so much easier for me to go on a missions trip and share Christ with people in Honduras.  It's much harder for me to love people right here where I'm at, in the United States of America.  Yes, in many ways, people in Honduras seem more receptive.  And people in the United States often seem harder to reach.  Yet, everyone needs love, and everyone needs Jesus.  

Reaching out to someone may be as simple as planting a seed.  We often have no idea what significance our simple words may have in the life of another.  We will not know the full impact the words we speak and the love we show for Christ have in another person's life until we get to heaven.      

Tonight in choir I was reminded of this simple song, sung by Chris Rice:  "Go Light Your World."  May we all let our light shine before men, that they may see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...