Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Place of Prayer

"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed."
Luke 5:16

Last night, while talking with a friend, I shared with him about times in our lives when God may draw us aside for a special season of prayer.  Perhaps it is to prepare us for something which lies ahead, a new season of life or a transition.  That said, the Bible says to "pray without ceasing." (I Thess. 5:17)  God desires a relationship with us that permeates every moment of our lives.  So perhaps my idea of special seasons of prayer is just God taking me to what is truly important.

I can think of a few times in my life where God was especially drawing me closer to Him.  One of those times was just after I graduated from high school.  After finishing a summer job I took a job at Burger King.  For about 4 months, until deciding to go to college, I worked from about 8:30 in the evening until about 4 or 5 in the morning.  I'd walk back to my apartment, a block away, shower, and usually go to bed an hour or two after I got off work.  Then I'd wake up later in the afternoon.

There were some mornings where I recall spending precious time with the Lord.  I can't say it was every morning or really say how often it was.  There may have been morning I spent in hour or more in prayer, or perhaps only 15 minutes.  During that time of the morning, the world was silent.  There were no distractions.  It was just me and Jesus.  If my memory serves me correctly - the farther I get from these memories the more I question my ability to be accurate :-) - I believe I earnestly wanted to hear God speak to me.  I don't remember if God ever clearly spoke to me in that season.  Nevertheless, He drew close to me and I to Him.  I remember that time of my life where I felt so close to the Lord.  

I believe, in part, that those times of drawing near to the Lord are what have carried me through some hard times.  As well, if my life has been in any way fruitful for the kingdom, I know that it has come only from the time I have spent with the Lord.  Jesus said, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

Drawing near to God, remaining in the vine - this is where our strength comes from.  The fruit we bear for the kingdom of God comes from the depth of our walk with the Lord.  Among all the pursuits of our lives, the greatest pursuit, is finding a place of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...