Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

From Stillness, Victory!

Sometimes, in our fight of faith, we may feel like Elijah.  At the threat of the evil queen Jezebel, he became afraid and ran for his life.  In the desert he sat down under a broom tree and prayed to die.  “I have had enough, Lord,” he said.  “Take my life…”  After his prayer the Scripture says he lay down under the tree and fell asleep.

You know your discouragement and despair runs deep when you pray for death.  Sometimes the spirit we face, the spirit that wars against us, is relentless.  We become worn out, weary from the battle; perhaps spiritually exhausted, physically weak, emotionally drained or mentally fatigued – or all of the above.  We pray a prayer and lie down and go to sleep, hopeful that God hears us and will respond in some positive way. 

In my walk with God He has, at times, spoke to me through dreams or ministered to me in my sleep.  I like that because it’s easy and requires no effort on my part.  Before I resign to my pillows, I utter a prayer, hoping God will respond while I sleep.  When I wake up the next morning, having heard no word from God, sometimes it is disappointing.  When He has spoken my spirit was lifted up and I felt re-assured.    

In Elijah’s story, as he slept, an angel touched him and told him to “Get up and eat.”  After eating he lies down again.  And a second time the angel of the Lord touches him.  The angel says, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you.”  After eating and drinking he travels 40 days and 40 nights to the mountain of God.  In this place the Lord speaks to Him about what is REALLY important:  intimacy with Him. (see I Kings 19)

Returning to a place of intimacy, we remember where our strength comes from.  “I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord,…” (Psalm 121:1-2, NIV)  The battles we face will not be overcome apart from God’s strength.

From this place of intimacy a new determination arises in our hearts.  It is the courage of David who wrote, “I pursued my enemies and crushed them; I did not turn back till they were destroyed.” (II Samuel 22:38, NIV)  The devil who rages against us is a defeated foe.  As a friend of mine used to say, the church of Jesus Christ has “guaranteed success.”  Jesus said, “…and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18, NKJV)

Several years ago I had a dream where the devil came to my home.  During the night he chased me and my family down into the basement.  With my family besides me trembling in fear the voice of the Lord said, “Be still, be still before me.”  From that place of stillness something strong rose up inside of me and I rebuked the devil.  And poof! he was gone.

Sometimes, in our fight, we may feel like the very gates of hell have made their home at our doorstep.  Hell has built a house at the forefront of our hearts and minds.  The battle is intense.  It is real.  It is face to face.  Yet, through the strength of the Lord, we can come to a place of total and complete victory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...