Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Your Labor is Not in Vain

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
Galatians 6:9

Today Rod Butler, "Bongo Rod" of KCBI radio, spoke at our church.  He did some impressive puppet performances, showed a couple of video clips on some cartoon stuff he is working on, and spoke for 10-15 minutes to the congregation.  In our world of media consumption he said it is important to meet kids where they are at:  In the world of technology, things such as the internet and television.  

I was thinking of some of the programs that touched my life as a child.  I grew up watching cartoons such as Duck Tales, Chip-n'-Dales Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, Garfield, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Looney Tunes, Winnie the Pooh, and more.  But there were also some Christian programs that impacted my life:  Superbook, The Gospel Bill Show.  Those are two that I can remember right now.  

One of the biggest programs that touched my life is the radio program from Focus on the Family called "Adventures in Odyssey."  To this day I still sometimes go to bed listening to an Adventures in Odyssey tape or CD.  It's a great show.  It's entertaining and communicates spiritual truth through radio drama.    

Many other things impacted my life as a younger person.  I was influenced by Sunday School and Children's Church workers, and, as I got older, youth leaders.  I was part of church drama groups and a program for boys called Royal Rangers.  I also participated in JBQ (Junior Bible Quiz) for a period of time.  In the summers I went to Bible camp.  Our youth group also took us to Youth Conventions where we were inspired and encouraged in our walk with Christ.  

All of these, in one way or another, contributed to my spiritual growth as a young person.  The helped to lay a foundation in my life on the solid rock of God's word.  I am thankful for all these things.  

That said, more than anything else, I believe the reason I am serving the Lord today is because of the strong influence of my mother.  I was taught much at church, I received from those who invested their time in church ministries.  However, with my mother, I saw firsthand what a relationship with God was like.  She had a real relationship with God.  She endured some difficult battles, but she was an intercessor who cried out to God.  She had a deep hunger for God's presence.  She was a worshiper.  

So, whether you are raising children to serve the Lord, or working in some kind of church ministry, nothing you do for the Lord is in vain.  We all have influence on those around us.  The work that we do for the Lord, the time we spend investing in the children and young people around us, has an eternal impact.  We do not always see the fruit of our labors.  Sometimes the work can be discouraging.  I believe that one day we will see the full scope of what God did through us when we get to heaven.  Don't grow weary in doing good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...