Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Obedient to the Call

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.”
Philippians 3:7-9

Do you find that your only true longing is for eternal things?  While others may be investing their time in earthly pleasures, chasing after earthly possessions and earthly rewards, your only real longing is to know Christ.  The thought of knowing Him consumes you and your every breath.  Knowing Him is your life.  The things that perhaps once consumed your time just don’t satisfy anymore.  Your only real longing is to be close to Jesus.

I think it is important to have a balanced life.  Earthly dreams and rewards are not necessarily bad.  Someday, Lord willing, I think it would be nice to own a house, maybe have a swing on a porch, and maybe plant a garden.  I like that the Lord has blessed me with a pretty nice car.  I think it is good to have hobbies.  I enjoy camping and hiking.  I love watching football and baseball.  I enjoy a good novel from time to time.  I think it is important to take vacations and have time to rest and relax.

Nevertheless, none of these things really, truly satisfy.  

Today, as my dad was driving me to the airport to head back to Texas from my summer vacation, I saw a house with a porch and a swing.  I told him that it would be nice to someday have a house with a porch and swing.  And then I mentioned something about letting God know what we’d like to have when we get to heaven.  After all, Jesus said that he is going to prepare a place for us.  I think the place he is making for me will fulfill desires I had on this earth. (see John 14:2-3)

For the time being, however, I’m willing to set aside those desires.  I want my treasure to be in heaven.  I’m not trying to sound super-spiritual, it’s just that I find, more and more, that I want the all-consuming passion of my life to be in knowing Christ and serving Him with all my heart, mind, soul and strength.  I truly believe that my real treasure, my real reward, is not in this earth.

Recently a visiting preaching at my church was sharing how they have basically given up on the American dream.  They sold their house in the States and have given themselves full time to the work of the Lord overseas.  They have given up some earthly pleasures to respond to the Spirit’s call, to the upward call of destiny on their lives.

In contrast, I have another friend who was ready to give himself full time to the work of the Lord overseas.  However, while preaching in the Caribbean, God told him to go back to Dallas and build a house.  The call of the Spirit was clear - “Go back to Dallas and build a house.”  So, the important thing is not how much we’ve given up or the amount or lack of earthy possessions.  The important thing is whether we are obedient.

Each of our callings is unique.  The burdens that come with God’s call can be different for different people.  One may be called to give their life full time on the mission field.  Another may be called to be successful in business and be a great giver to the kingdom.  God gives grace for wherever He has called us.  Even more, the greatest call is to know Him.  There is no more worthy pursuit than the pursuit of knowing Christ and being found in Him.

Are you obedient to the Spirit’s call?  Are you faithful to the place God has called you?  Are you seeking to know Him with all your heart?

2 comments:

  1. This is really what life is all about ... knowing Him.It has taken me a lifetime to grasp this truth, and I certainly haven't arrived even yet. We only get one chance at life .... no second chances. We need to make the most of it. These scriptures also say it pretty well. Philippians 3:8 Yes doubtless,and I count all things but loss, for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord ...:10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto his death. I appreciate your heart, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rogene, your comments are encouraging to me!

    Blessings,
    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Prayer Equals Peace

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...